Agnes Banks

 

Postcode: 2753  | Distance to Sydney CBD: 68 km

 

Agnes Banks is a suburb of Sydney. Agnes Banks is located 68 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of the City of Penrith and City of Hawkesbury. It is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.  Agnes Banks is connected to Penrith by Castlereagh Road which runs alongside the Nepean River between Richmond and Penrith. Natural woodlands and sandy deposits make up the higher landscape of this suburb. Agnes Banks is a rural outpost of the City of Penrith which has kept its intrinsic agricultural value and rural lifestyle.


History
This suburb was settled as early as 1804 by Andrew Thompson who leased his land out to tenant farmers on the gently undulating alluvial farmlands. The name Agnes Banks comes from Thompson's mother's name, Agnes. The town here was once known as 'Little Richmond'.


Demographics
According to the 2011 census of Population, there were 826 residents in Agnes Banks. 80.5% of residents were born in Australia. The other most common countries of birth were England 3.1%, Malta 1.2% and New Zealand 1.1%. 87.4% of residents spoke only English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Maltese 1.2%, Macedonian 1.0% and Greek 0.6%. The most common responses for religious affiliation were Catholic 29.7%), Anglican 26.6% and No Religion 15.8%.